Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Discovery Exercise #22 - E-audiobooks

This site was very easy to navigate and use. My experience downloading an audiobook did raise a few questions for me that I plan to investigate.

1. Does OverDrive only display the audiobooks which are currently available for download, and not audiobooks which are currently "checked out?" If so, I wish there were a way to browse all audiobooks so I would know everything that is available in our system.

2. I was searching for an audiobook for my daughter who is 15. When I went to the "teen" section of OverDrive, only 12 books were displayed. However, when I went to "kids" section, there were many titles that are actually for young adults. Is there someone I can contact about cataloging issues with OverDrive?

3. Is it realistic to expect that our patrons will follow the "honor code" of deleting all digital versions of e-audiobooks after the two-week period ends? This raises a whole host of questions about copyrights of digital materials, which is the subject of many separate blogs, I am sure.

4. Is it possible to "renew" an e-audiobook?

5. Do e-audiobooks and due dates show up on a patron's check-out record?

All in all, I think this is a great service for our patrons, and now that I have used it, I will encourage patrons I know to check it out.

2 comments:

Little_Librarian said...

The files actually delete themselves when they are "overdue." I should know, this has happened to me often.

Basically, the files have a code in them that says "this file can only be active for 14 days." After that, the code "breaks" and the file is worthless.

I have a host of complaints about Overdrive, especially after I searched for some YA "Classics" today and didn't find them. I will still use this, but I wish there was something better.

I was told who to talk to about Overdrive, but I can't remember...

Little_Librarian said...

For question number 5, I don't think the books show up on your record. This is sort of separate from the main catalog.

Not sure if you can renew them. Usually the files are so past due, I can't even if I wanted to...