Sunday, January 4, 2009

Discovery Exercise #18 - Web 2.0 Tools

I explored MyHeritage.com, a web-based geneology tool. I chose this because we have many patrons who are interested in researching and creating family trees. What I like about MyHeritage.com is that you can invite others to contribute to your family tree. You can add data, such as dates of birth and death, as well as photos, remembrances, and other tidbits of family history. MyHeritage.com also has its own research tool which simultaneously searches multiple geneology databases. However, it was running very slowly on my computer, so I was not able to complete a search on one of my ancestors today.

I also checked out some of the arts web tools, and liked millionmasterpiece.com, a website which seeks to collect one million pieces of artwork created on their website by artists and non-artists. It is cool because you have to create your artwork on the site, therefore you can "play" the creation process of any piece on the webiste.

Not sure if this counts as a web tool, but have you checked out freerice.com? It is a vocabulary building game which will contribute 20 grains of rice for each question you answer correctly. A good way to start your day, with some brain food for you, and real food for people who need it. Bookmark it! (Or should I say, delicious it!)

No comments: