Monday, January 12, 2009

Discover Exercise #23 - The End!


I am actually a little let down that the 23 Things exercise is over. I have enjoyed learning new things, and although not all of them appear to be useful to me right now, I will be able to come back to them if needed.

The things I will continue to use regularly are:

The blog: I would like to start a blog for the families who attend story time at the library (and for families who don't). It would include the titles of books read, song lyrics, links to related activities, etc. I also will be starting a blog for a club that my daughter belongs to.

RSS Feed: I am enjoying checking my RSS Feed every few days. I enjoy the feeds about children's books, as well as some that are just for my personal enjoyment.

Social Networking: Coinciding with CCLS's 23 Things, my sister encouraged me to join Facebook. I certainly have a better understanding of what social networking is, and I do enjoy seeing old friends, but I feel this is a time consuming endeavor. I would probably not use Facebook or other social networking sites for work.

Wikis: I am also more comfortable updating our library staff wiki, and can see potential for creating my own wiki for a number of personal and work-related projects.

Also: I enjoyed Library Thing and Flickr. I will try to maintain my Library Thing account, and want to start using Flickr to share family photos.

Overall, I feel much more up to date on how technology is being used, which is one of my learning goals. I had never even heard the term "Web 2.0" before this training!

I think CCLS did an excellent job with this training. The initial in-service day gave a good overview of Web 2.0 and introductions to some of the applications. The 23 Things blog was easy to follow, and each of the "lessons" was well-composed. None of the lessons was too hard, and the more difficult items were broken down into several lessons.

Since it appears that a small percentage of people participated in the 23 Things program after the in-service day, in the future I think it would be better to offer this as an optional training so that the people who attend are motivated to complete the program.

And speaking of motivation, I can't wait to get my MP3 player ...

No comments: