Sunday, January 4, 2009

Discover Exercise #15 - Wikis

Our library staff already has a wiki, but now that I've read the tutorial, I feel that I better understand the intent and how it can be useful. I will try adding an entry to our wiki.

I thought the Bull Run Library wiki was really more like a blog. I didn't see a lot of user-created content. So this model wouldn't really add anything to our current communication with patrons, since WCPL has a blog.

I thought the SJCPL wiki/subject guide model would be very useful for our staff and patrons. It provides links to many community resources. I especially liked the entries on local authors, geneology, and recreation. I could see our library creating something similar, although it would take a great deal of time to build up the number of resources available on the SJCPL wiki.

I also think a wiki would be an excellent way for our patrons who are living in local homeless shelters to share information with each other. It would empower them by providing links to social service agencies, job resources, job applications online, etc. Could our library be a leader in helping some of the underserved members of our community?

No comments: